Rutland Environmental Education Centre (REEC) is located in the Anglian Water Bird Watching Centre on Rutland Water Nature Reserve. It provides an ideal base to access both the main reservoir itself as well as providing a excellent location from which to carry out practical work on the Nature Reserve.
Through active learning and practical investigation students are encouraged to respect the environment, become involved in natural history and understand why the natural world is important. All sessions are fully risk assessed and regularly reviewed to ensure they maintain excellent standards in safety and content.
Group sizes are limited to enable students to gain the maximum benefit from their visits’.
To find out more about our education programmes please download our brochure from the link below.
We encourage visits by teachers wishing to discuss the content of the day before bringing the students themselves.
- Access to one of the finest nature reserves in England
- All activities fully risk assesd and supervised by experienced teacher-naturalists
- Flexiable lesson plans that can be adapted to your requirements
- The opportunity to learn in a practical, safe, stimulating envirnment away from the classroom
- National Curriculum links for all activities
- Toilet facilities, heated classroom, interactive interpration room and raised viewing gallery
Free of Charge
The reserve and Anglian Water are commited to education and as a result we have a range of education days that are free of charge to pre booked school groups. We do have a range of optional extras, and other fun activity days that have a cost associated with them, this is detailed in the brochure.
These two ponds form part of our habitats work. They contain an amazing array of pond life and are safe environments for students to learn about the plants and small creatures that live in and around water. The raised pond is particularly well suited for those with restricted mobility.
Apart from the nature reserve, Rutland Water Reservior offers a range of activities to complement a visit. These include:
- Cycle hire
- A cruise on the Rutland Belle
- Self guided activities or education work
To arrange your visit or for more information, please contact:
Anglian Water Birdwatching Centre,
Rutland Water Nature Reserve,
Rutland LE15 8BT
Phone: 01572 653042/770651